Sunday, March 6, 2022

Start With Gratitude

                                                                                                             written 27 Feb 2022

                                                                                                          published 6 Mar 2022

 

            I awakened this morning, grateful to be alive another day.  My body functioned perfectly as I slept.  My heart beat all night long, and my lungs were clear and functional.  My eyes work and see the sun coming in the east window.  None of my joints hurt.  The bed is warm.  Our house is intact, with heat and electricity functioning.  Lynn, my wife, is still alive, and already up and about.  

            I get out of bed, stand on my own two feet, and walk to the bathroom.  We have indoor plumbing.  My bowels function, as the trillions of beings inhabiting my gut are in harmony and thriving.  The toilet flushes, indicating the city sewer functions.  I have hot and cold potable water, indicating the city water system functions.  

            Back in the bedroom, I can get down onto the floor to do my back exercises.  Despite herniating a disk in my lower back 16 years ago, I feel no pain, and my spine is limber.  The carpet is soft.  I can get up off the floor. 

            With abundant choice of warm clothing, I prepare to go outside to meditate, despite the frigid temperature.  The dogs to the south of us are quiet for the moment, and   I hear the birds.  I have a comfortable place to sit.  I am grateful to live during a time when the wisdom of the ages is available to everyone.

            When I finish, I head into the house where there is fresh food in the refrigerator and on the pantry shelves.  I appreciate the larger civilization that allows me access to such variety of food within my local community. 

            Before eating, I give thanks to all the beings that gave their life that I may be nourished.  I give thanks and bless all the water used to grow and process the food.  I give thanks to all the people involved in bringing the food to my table.  I appreciate that a copy of the local paper was delivered to my front sidewalk before I woke up, grateful we still have a local paper.

            I begin to read the news.

            Russia invaded the Ukraine, initiating another war of domination in Europe.  FOX "News", Trump, and some Republican "leaders" are rooting for Putin, spouting Russian propaganda, showing their fundamental disregard for democracy.  But perhaps they are losing the support of their voter base, which is still mostly patriotic.  Postmaster General DeJoy, selected by the Trump appointed Board of Governors of the Postal Service, announced plans to buy 150,000 new gasoline powered postal trucks, ignoring the climate crisis or the impending collapse of oil production.  Real estate prices continue to increase, as does the homeless population.  The conservative Republicans on the Supreme Court plan to gut the Environmental Protection Authority, ban birth control pills, overturn abortion rights, and kill off the remains of the Voter Protection legislation.  The political polarization of the country seems insurmountable, with strong indication Republican leadership wants an autocratic America.

            However, by starting the day with gratitude for the things that create a positive experience in my life, I have built up a conscious "awareness of appreciation", and am more prepared to deal with the larger world, and all the problems, without feeling so overwhelmed or despairing.

            Most people are good.  Most people are kind.  Most people want a peaceful, safe, healthy world for themselves and their children.  The fundamental commonality that unites humanity is much greater than the differences that apparently divide us.  The Golden Rule is found in every spiritual tradition.  However, we have created structures of economic and political power that allow people with some of the worst aspects of humanity to rise to the top, shaping the world in their own twisted images.  This is not new, and has been going on for thousands of years.

            What is new is that we have exhausted the capacity of the planet to support this suicidal lunacy.  Humans are so numerous, and our actions are amplified by such potent technology, that our fantasies of separation can no longer be sustained.  The world is manifestly interconnected.  All of us are being called to look within, to find our best sense of ourselves, and work together to make it manifest.  Start with gratitude for what we already have.  It can all go away in a heartbeat.